The DAISY Team Award is a concept brought to us by DAISY Award Partner Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. It recognizes that while an idea to achieve better patient and family outcomes may start with one individual, it often takes an entire team to implement successfully. The DAISY Team Award is designed to honor collaboration by two or more people, led by a nurse, who identify and meet patient and/or patient family needs by going above and beyond the traditional role of Nursing.
The DAISY Team Award will complement your on-going DAISY Award program that honors individual direct care nurses for their extraordinary compassion and skill. If you choose to celebrate nurse-led teams, we ask you to present only one DAISY Team Award per year,in addition to the DAISY Awards you regularly present to individual nurses. The team must be led by a direct-care nurse.
Some examples of extraordinary collaborations that may be honored with The DAISY Team Award include:
- A "Prom" organized for a patient who is unable to go to her/his own
- An ED team dealing with multiple accident victims
- A wedding for a patient who is unable to attend her/his own outside of the healthcare facility.
- A fund to provide haircuts to patients who will lose their hair during treatment. Then donating the hair to a charitable organization who can put the hair to good use.
- A process for creating mementos of patients to be given to family members.
Collecting Team Nominations
We recommend two ways of generating nominations:
- You probably already get nominations for The DAISY Award that include two or more nurses or nurses plus other members of the care team who have done something truly special for a patient or family. Separate these from your nomination "pool," and hold them for your annual Team Award.
- Once a year, issue a call for nominations to your staff.
DAISY Team Award Recognition
Once you have identified the team you want to honor, complete the order form in our online Resource Center so we can create a special DAISY Team Award plaque, customized with the Team's Name (i.e. The Staff of 7 West etc.). Please plan ahead for this celebration. Plaques can take up to 4 weeks to create and orders and are shipped once payment is received.
In addition to the plaque, each member of the team will be recognized with a personalized DAISY Team Award certificate. (We will email you the Team Award certificate template for your use when you order your Team Award package.) The Team Award package also contains 4 DAISY Team Award pins, and 4 certificate portfolios, of course, you may purchase more if the team is larger than 4 members.
We hope you will celebrate the Team you select to be honored with The DAISY Team Award with a ceremony similar to those you conduct to celebrate your individual direct-care DAISY Nurse Honorees.
As always, we hope you will create criteria that fit your organization's mission and values. At minimum, we suggest your criteria include:
- Teams must be led by a nurse or group of nurses
- Teams must be comprised of 2 or more individuals
- Team members exemplify your organization’s values and embody your mission
- Team members are role models of collaboration and teamwork that make a difference in the lives of patient, families, employees, the community
- The Team’s project should be described in detail, including outcomes.
Ordering Your DAISY Team Award Package
If you have a team you want to recognize with The DAISY Team Award, you may order a DAISY Team Award Package by completing our Team Award Order Form in the Resource Center. If you need help logging into the Resource Center or placing your order, please contact your Regional Program Director.