Michele (Mimi) Steele, RN, Director of ICU and Telemetry at SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – Centralia, was honored recently with The DAISY Lifetime Achievement Award.
The DAISY Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes nurses who have devoted their lives and careers to the compassionate care of others. Nurses are nominated by their colleagues for their life-long dedication to compassion in nursing through active mentoring, role modeling, advocating for their patients and promoting the positive image of nursing.
To be considered for the award, the nominees must meet the following criteria:
• The nurse must have a distinguished career in clinical practice, administration, education, and/or research that promotes a positive image of professional nursing.
• As a professional, the nurse has worked to create innovative environments for the achievement of exceptional outcomes while advancing and contributing to the profession, while seeing a way to broaden their knowledge and continually pursue professional development and life-long learning.
• As an advocate, this nurse must have special concern for those who are underserved and marginalized. He or she has provided support for other nurses by being a mentor, teacher, or coach.
• He or she has partnered with patients, families, customers, and colleagues to provide exceptional care and service throughout their career.
• As a leader, this nurse has been instrumental in implementing the mission of SSM Health within their team, department, ministry and the community.
• Throughout his or her career this nurse has been accountable for achieving exceptional outcomes.
• He or she must have 25+ years of service.
Steele's nomination was filled with examples of extraordinary nursing, from praying with a patient at their bedside to working directly with families and doctors to resolve any issues. Steele's colleagues share that she has never lost her enthusiasm for the profession.
"As a director, Mimi wears scrubs to work because that is what she is there to do, in between multiple meetings each day, she is always asking the staff if she can help - 12 hours a day, 5 days a week."
"Mimi always has an encouraging word for everyone she sees and a smile on her face, she lights up her department."
"Mimi believes and lives the mission statement of SSM Health."
When asked what the award meant to her, Steele shared these thoughts, "I am humbled and grateful to accept The DAISY Lifetime Achievement Award surrounded by our amazing SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital team and my own family, both who inspire me greatly. My journey in healthcare started 36 years ago when I followed my sister to nursing school. It didn't take me long to learn that nursing is more than a career. It's a lifelong commitment and privilege to work with and serve people from all walks of life. God was using ME to care for the poor and vulnerable in this wonderful faith-based organization. Wow! This award is a culmination of all the people I've met and had the pleasure of working alongside and caring for over the years. Being recognized with The DAISY Lifetime Achievement Award is one of the most profound blessings in my life."